Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Dinner #8 - Gnocchi!

Wikipedia describes gnocchi as a type of pasta, resembling various thick, soft dumplings, and I've only ever seen it filled with potatoes. I've also only ever seen it at fancy restaurants when my wife orders it, so when I saw it at the local Kroger on the pasta aisle, I knew I had to give it a try!

I'm not sure who wrote the directions on the box, but I was instructed to use 5 quarts of water for about 30 little potato dumplings. If you don't know the conversion there, 1 quart is 4 cups, so I would need 20 cups of water. This just seemed insane to me and I only went with 3 quarts - it may have also had something to do with me not having a pot big enough to hold 5 quarts of water, let alone bring it to a rolling boil. Secondly, the box included a quick little recipe for a tomato-based sauce, that required a 28oz can of crushed tomatoes. Again, if you're keeping count, that's 3.5 cups of tomatoes. I kept rereading the box, but that is exactly what it asked for. So, I dropped the gnocchi in the boiling water and got started on the sauce.

The sauce was pretty simple, a little garlic in some olive oil, add in the crushed tomatoes, some oregano, and black pepper. Simple enough, but at that point the entire sauce pan was full and I still had 30 gnocchi to mix in. Once the gnocchi started to float, and as the instructions directed, I pulled the little potato pockets from the giant vat of water and mixed them with about half of the sauce. I also used one of the Kroger brand vegetable steam bags in the microwave, and was ready to serve up a most delicious dinner!



Well, that was the plan, anyway. I was left with too much water, too much sauce (which then, it turns out, was over-seasoned and too spicy), under-cooked gnocchi...and all after following the direction as close as I could. I figure the directions were originally for a larger box of gnocchi and there's someone out there making a batch for 500 soldiers, but our cooking instructions were switched.

Definitely not one of the better meals on this list, but better than that time I made BBQ tuna spaghetti back in college! (BBQ sauce, can of tuna, and a package of top ramen - those were the days!)

No comments:

Post a Comment